These are every bit as rich, decadent, and indulgent as they look. A super thick and fudgy brownie filled with chocolate chips topped which a sticky layer of salted caramel. If you’re into ooey, gooey, and fudgy– you do not want to miss out on this recipe.
I mean, really. Stop what you are doing and make these brownies.
Ok. Let’s talk about this recipe.
It is so, SO, so easy. I simply used my current favorite homemade brownie recipeand a jar of caramel sauce sprinkled with sea salt.
I adore this brownie recipe. Which says a lot, because anyone who knows me knows that I am a box-mix-brownie girl. But these brownies? I’d pick these over a box mix. Let’s talk about what makes them so thick and fudgy… basically, it comes down to using a few really good ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, CHOCOLATE, a little bit of cocoa powder to intensify the flavor, and a little flour.
The proportions of the ingredients are really important to the fudginess of these brownies. You’ll see that compared to the amount of flour there is a LOT of butter and sugar. And no leavening agents at all like baking soda or baking powder. This makes the brownies very dense, exactly how I like them. This recipe also calls for both chocolate and cocoa powder. The chocolate (use a good quality baking chocolate if you can rather than chocolate chips) give these brownies that deep chocolate flavor intensified by the cocoa powder.
Over top of these deep, dark, luscious brownies I added caramel sauce with a sprinkling of sea salt. I used an Archer Farms brand of jarred dessert sauce I found at Target, but you could use any kind as long as it’s really thick. You don’t want an ice cream syrup, you want something that you can spread. Both Hershey’s and Smuckers caramel sauces are too thin for this recipe.
A great option for the caramel topping would be Nestle’s Duce de Leche, which you can usually find beside the sweetened condensed milk or in the Hispanic section of the grocery store.
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 cup butter
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- approximately 10 ounces caramel sauce
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Melt together the butter and the semi sweet chocolate. Let cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar and the eggs. Mix in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool completely before topping with caramel sauce and sprinkling with sea salt.