Make these lunch bowls ahead of time and have your work lunches ready for the week!
These chicken fajita lunch bowls are the same concept: prep them on the week-end, and they will keep for 4 days in the fridge. 5 days is kind of pushing it and plus if you bring your own lunch for 4 days, I think you deserve to buy yourself something on day 5 😉
This recipe combines basmati rice (feel free to sub your favorite rice) with lots of fresh bell peppers and corn kernels. It is topped with baked chicken breast and tossed in a vinaigrette that is full of fajita flavor: chili powder, paprika and cumin. And lime juice!
And the best part is that this salad will keep you full. This is not a leafy, empty salad, it is packed with the good stuff.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- Place the chicken breasts in a small baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Turn to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the chicken, then bake for another 10-15 minutes (depends on the size of your chicken breasts), until cooked through.
- Allow to rest for 10 more minutes before slicing.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, bell peppers, red onion and corn.
- Shake together the vinaigrette and add to the bowl. Toss to coat everything completely.
- Divide amongst 4 lunch containers, topping with the chicken.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Calories 479
- Fat 19 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 180 mg
- Carbohydrate 41 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 30 g