This Healthy Black Bean Breakfast Burrito Recipe features a hearty bean & hash brown filling with scrambled eggs, cheese, avocado and salsa rolled into whole wheat tortillas. This is a great healthy breakfast idea that can also be made ahead.
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red potato, coarsely grated
- 14 oz (400 g) can no-salt-added black beans, drained
- ½ cup (125 mL) salsa
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 whole grain tortillas (10 inches/25 cm each)
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream and extra salsa, for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and potato for 5 minutes, until they are soft and start to turn golden brown.
- Add the beans, salsa and chili powder to the mix and cook for 3–5 minutes. Slightly mash part of the beans with a fork and cook until heated through. Then transfer everything to a bowl and set.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs. Heat the remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in the skillet. Add the whisked eggs and don’t stir until they start to set at the bottom (30 seconds). Then stir the eggs carefully with a spatula to scramble them. Add scrambled eggs to the bean mixture.
- Divide the egg and bean mixture among four whole wheat tortillas. Spread it down the center and leave space on the sides and at both ends. Top with shredded cheese, avocado slices and fresh cilantro (if using).
- Fold over one long side to cover the filling, fold over both short ends, then roll the whole thing over to close up into a package.
- Serve warm, with cilantro, extra salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Serving size: 1 burrito
Fat: 23 g
Saturated fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 760 mg
Fiber: 14 g
Protein: 23 g