The world needs to know. The sweet taste of banana bread brownies topped with a brown butter frosting.
6:00 p.m. Walk in the door. Turn the oven to 375°F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
Open the fridge pull 2 eggs out. Take one large bowl and beat eggs together with sugar, sour cream and butter until creamy.
6:05 p.m. Take banana off the counter, just one of the ones you usually grab for smoothies or snacks, and set it, still peeled and sliced, in your favorite greek yogurt and place in the fridge.
6:10 p.m. Take the remaining bananas ( I’m just kidding, you’ll need only 3) and stick them in high-speed blender with a bowl or food processor and pureé it to a cream, add egg-butter mixture, flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract and blend for minute more. Open your jar with chopped walnuts (“quite convenient”) and stir in about 1/2 cup. Spread batter evenly into pan. Slide the pan into the oven, set the timer for 25 minutes, clean the blender, twiddle your thumbs, take out your banana greek yogurt and go sit on the sofa and look at Pinterest.
6:25 p.m. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, whisk in powdered sugar at a time, adding milk as it thickens, then add in vanilla.
6:35 p.m. when the oven starts to beeping, use mitted hands to pull pan and its now-golden brown banana bread out of the oven. Cool slighty until warm but not hot and pour frosting over the banana bread, smooth with a spatula, butter knife, or frosting spatula.
“What are you guys making? It smells like freshly baked pie or bread ? those words were the first reaction of your neighbor, because crispy baked banana bread brownies smell waft its way through.
6:40 p.m. Stop everything you are doing to pull out your Canon camera and then your iPhone and then your computer because, this is completely killer! The world needs to know.
7:00 p.m. Publish blog post. Start of cooking to published post = one hour = Not bad… Not bad at all!
Banana Bread Brownies
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts,chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- For the brownie,
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy.
- Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slighty (warm but not hot) and frost with frosting.
- For frosting,
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, whisk in powdered sugar at a time, adding milk as it thickens, then add in vanilla.
- Pour over the warm banana bread brownies immediately, and smooth with a spatula, butter knife, or frosting spatula.
- Cool completely before cutting.